Yoga is contagious. You can catch the yoga bug from a teacher or a friend who drags you to that ”awesome” class. Once you’ve caught the bug, your condition may progress until you find you’re a “yogi.”
We’ve seen it happen to people from all walks of life, from tax accountants to movie executives. Suddenly, you wake up and find you’re a secret yogi.
How do you know it’s happened?
Well, setting aside the deeper spiritual changes that take place, Western yogis have particular habits. As yoga journeyed West and mixed with our entrepreneurial spirit,we adapted in our own strange way.
You know you’re a yogi when you have the following symptoms:
- You own more lululemon clothes than street clothes.
- You shell out for a Manduka mat or some other uber-mat that costs more than $80.
- You have matching Yogi-toe socks and a skidless Yoga Towel (color coordinated to match your mat and yoga bag).
- At least three of the following words make sense to you: Asana, pranayama, chakra, prana, bandhas, mindfulness, emptiness, mantra, namaste, savasanah.
- You know who Shiva Rea is…
- You’ve been to a Yoga Retreat and finally understand what people mean when they say “transformative.”
- You’ve tried more than one of the following yoga styles: Kundalini, Anusara, Jivamukti, Vinyasa, Restorative, Iyengar, Ashtanga, Integral, Yin.
- Under duress, you find yourself chanting “Om.”
- You are attracted to objects with Lotuses on them.
- You own yoga paraphernalia: mat cleaner spray, neti pot, om necklace, asana poster, blocks, straps.
- You own Mantra CDs.
- You carry an eco friendly water bottle (Siggs or the KleenKanteen).
- Not only do you not eat before class, you’re afraid to.
- You drink tea after class!
- When you can no longer multi-task!
- When you own toe spreaders that are not used for a pedicure!
- When your toddlers are chanting “ohm” and you find yourself calling out “down-dog”! when you need to wipe their tushies after they finish up on the potty!
- When your girlfriends call you to meet for a drink and you say “I can’t, “It’s my yoga night. How about tomorrow?”
So, did any of the above descriptions fit you? If so, you may be a YOGI! If you come up with any other symptoms, let us know in the comments and we’ll add them to the list!
Happy Yoga to You!